From Food & Wine
After you have grilled up Vegetables with Walnut Dressing, pair with pearled barley and Pecorino cheese for a lively summer grain salad.
By Grace Parisi
Serves: 6 Edit
Total Time: 1 hr
Prep Time: 45 min
- 1 cup(s) (7 ounces) pearled barley
- Vegetables with Walnut Dressing
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup(s) snipped chives
- Salt (I use Sea Salt for mineral content)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounce(s) (1 cup) shaved fresh Pecorino cheese (I use a vegan substitute made with Cashews)
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the barley over moderate heat until slightly tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and quickly rinse the barley under running water to cool it slightly. Shake off all the water and transfer the barley to a large bowl.
- Cut the grilled vegetables into bite-size pieces and add to the barley. Add the walnut dressing, lemon juice, and chives and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the shaved Pecorino cheese and serve warm.
If you would like to learn how to make a recipe “Vegan” healthy, join our classes! It’s easy, it’s cheap and it’s fun!