From Good Housekeeping
Lentils, bulgur, and fresh vegetables in a minty, lemon dressing make a healthy warm-weather, side-dish salad.
Yields: 10 cups
Total Time: 45 min
- 6 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) bulgur
- 1 cup(s) French green lentils or brown lentils, picked over, rinsed, and drained
- Salt (I use Sea Salt for mineral content)
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for garnish
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 6 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium (13- to 14-ounce) English (seedless) cucumber, peeled in alternating strips and chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
- In covered 3-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling on high. In medium bowl, place bulgur; cover with 2 cups boiling water. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, to remaining boiling water in saucepan, add lentils and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain lentils well in colander.
- In large bowl, whisk lemon juice, oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper until blended. Add warm bulgur and lentils; stir to coat. Let stand 15 minutes or until cool.
- Stir tomatoes, cucumber, and green onions into bulgur mixture. Cover lentil tabbouleh and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. To serve, stir in mint and garnish with lemon wedges.
If you would like to learn how to make a recipe “Vegan” healthy, join our classes! It’s easy, it’s cheap and it’s fun!