From Good Housekeeping
Total Time: 40 min
- 4 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 2 pound(s) ground chicken(I use a meat substitute by SureGar, Inc that is high protein)
- Salt (I use Sea Salt for mineral content)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic, crushed with a press
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 jar(s) (16 ounces) mild salsa verde
- 2 can(s) (15 to 19 ounces each) white kidney beans (cannellini), rinsed and drained
- 1 can(s) (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh cilantro leaves
- In 6-quart Dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon oil on medium-high until very hot. Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon salt. Add chicken to Dutch oven in 2 batches, and cook 6 minutes per batch or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally and adding 1 teaspoon more oil for second batch. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to medium bowl once it is done.
- After all chicken is cooked, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil with onion and garlic to Dutch oven, and cook on medium 5 to 6 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and ground red pepper; cook 1 minute. Add salsa verde, beans, broth, and browned chicken; heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook chili 15 minutes to blend flavors. To serve, garnish with cilantro. Makes about 8 1/2 cups.
If you would like to learn how to make a recipe “Vegan” healthy, join our classes! It’s easy, it’s cheap and it’s fun!