Spike Mendelsohn was inspired by the new beehive in the White House garden to make these lovely, not-too-sweet muffins. We changed the recipe to make it healthier!
Yields: 12 muffins
Total Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 18 min
Oven Temp: 375
- 3/4 cup(s) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup(s) whole-wheat flour or FlourBlend
- 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt (I use Sea Salt for better mineral content)
- 1/2 cup(s) honey or SugarBlend or SweetR!
- 2 tablespoon(s) honey
- 1/2 cup(s) buttermilk (I make a Vegan substitute out of Almond Milk)
- 1/2 cup(s) canola oil (I use Olive Oil)
- 2 large eggs (I use a Vegan Substitute from Flax Seeds)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats with the whole-wheat flour or FlourBlend, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, coriander, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the honey(or SugarBlend or SweetR!) with the buttermilk, canola oil, and eggs. Pour the honey mixture into the dry ingredients; mix just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for about 18 minutes, until they’re golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you would like to learn how to make a recipe “Vegan” healthy, join our classes! It’s easy, it’s cheap and it’s fun!